The Slaets family has her roots in Herselt, a
small village in the Antwerp Campine. It was Jan Frans Slaets, a young
watchmaker, who started a small watchmakers workshop in his own house in 1904.
With a daily view over the rural open fields of Herselt, he specialised in
repairing clocks and pocket watches. In that period only the first wristwatches
started to emerge for military purposes and were barely worn by non-military
During the next 40 years, together with his wife, the workshop and shop were
expanded to a business with an excellent reputation, known as an important
point of sales and after sales for clock, watches and jewellery for Antwerp and
1947 - Antwerp, Diamond Capital of the World
After the Second World War, the family business
moved for a very short while to Brussels, but soon after that Jan Frans Slaets
decides to move to Antwerp, the Diamond Capital of the World. Settled in the
Carnotstraat n°11, the place to be, the sons were also active in the family
business which was bearing the proud caption "J.F. Slaets en Zonen” (meaning
J.F. Slaets and Sons). Watches was an important part of the business, but also
Jewellery played a mayor role.
1960 - De Keyserlei
In the early ‘60s the family
Slaets opened a second store on the De Keyserlei n°46 bearing the name
"Gebroeders Slaets” (meaning "Brothers Slaets”). With 3 Brothers running the
business, the company experiences an exponential growth and after only 4 years,
the store expands to the neighbouring n°48. Resulting in one of the biggest
watch and jewellery stores in Belgium.
1980 - 3th generation
When in the 80’s Jan Slaets, the grandson of
founder Jan Frans Slaets en son of Emiel Slaets, joins the company, ambitious
plans are forged. Being an economic, Jan Slaets has set clear objectives. More
renowned and prestigious brands, better customer service and growth.
Lead by Emiel Slaets and son Jan Slaets decide to
leave their location in the Carnotstraat and renovate the large store on the
The Keyserlei, which became the flagship store till this day.
1998 - Specialised watchstore
In 1998 Slaets renovates an old movie theatre
on The Keyserlei n°42 into an impressive store specialising in high-end
watches, unseen and the biggest in the Benelux at that time. Housing multiple
high-end watchmakers, the business would soon be known as the rock solid beacon
for Belgian and International watch-enthusiasts. Together with this
introduction, Jan Slaets announces that the stores on n°46-48 will only be
selling jewellery from that point. Jan Slaets wants to assure his clients the
best possible professional advice and guidance, because watches and jewellery
are two different worlds after all.
When entering the watch store, one can see 4
watchmakers working on repairing and servicing watches from clients. Each
watchmakers is certified, trained and school by the best watch manufacturers.
2004 - Slaets exists 100 years
In 2004 Slaets reaches a mayor accomplishment,
existing exactly 100 years, a big party won’t go unnoticed. Mayor Swiss watch manufacturers like Cartier, Chopard, Breitling and Piaget are issuing limited
editions tribute to Slaets.
2006 - Fashion heart of Antwerp - de Schuttershofstraat
The most recent expansion at
Slaets is the opening of new store
in 2006 in the Schuttershofstraat, right in the middle of Antwerp’s fashion
district. The offer of brands in this store focuses on fashion minded clients,
without loosing our passion for high-end watchmaking or quality jewellery.
1904 tot 2012 - SLAETS Jewellery & Watches
At Slaets, we always look
out for new and innovative brands. 40 years ago, when Pomellato was founded,
Jan Slaets was a believer from the first hour and resulted in us being the
first jeweller outside Italy to represent Pomellato. We are also having the
first and only Piaget-corner in Belgium and were the first retailers to offer
Cartier, Chopard, Chanel and Hublot in Belgium.
2014 - Jeweller SLAETS welcomes ROLEX
2015 - Jeweller SLAETS opens a dedicated ROLEX-zone